Need Help With My Wr...

Discussion in 'WR125X WR125R Discussions' started by Liam1999, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Hey guys, I'm just trying to see if anybody knows what could be up with my bike... anything will help..

Right basically for the last two weeks my bike has being cutting out when I'm higher up in the revs... I'll explain a little More...

When I go out it's all good, then After about 5/6 miles of riding up in the revs, the bike like cuts out, for a spilt second, it does it a few times and the engine management light flashs real quick for a spilt second... the dash doesn't go out... but it's only when high up in the revs.. I've changed my spark plug thinking it could be that... does anybody have any tips.. anything will help..

2. RPS

RPS Member

Prior to this happening it was running fine and you haven't done anything to it, right?
    Once, when engine stops, don't try re-starting it, but come to a standstill and see if you can get an error code off the mode button.
    Two obvious things to check are fuel and ignition systems:
    Ignition system - I would check spark plug cap is fitted correctly and its not an expensive item to replace so if you haven't replaced it before, it would be good practice to replace it anyway. Could also be the ignition coil but I would leave that till later to check as I think it will be something much simpler.
    Fuel system - Is fuel tank breather pipe clear of obstructions, is fuel pump filter clear and fuel pipes free of blockages, is inside of tank clear and free of debris, and is fuel injector clear and free of obstructions.
    I think it will be one or of the above that is causing the problem.
    The Haynes manual is pretty good if you haven't got one.

Blazer likes this.
  3. RPS

RPS Member

Check and/or replace air filter as well.

4. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Where is the fuel breather pipe mate? I have a black pipe that isn't connected to anything either end, and I can't see where it goes to.. I havnt changed my ht cap as I don't know where to get one from.. and I will replace the ignition coil later on if I can't find out what it is... and yes the fuel pipes are clear of blockages as I removed the tank and made sure.. and yes the injector also is... I have also checked the air filter.. I can't see wrong with it

5. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Just to let you know.. when the engine cuts out... I don't have to restart it... it comes back on... that's what I mean by bogging out.. like it looses power for a split second and then the power comes back

6. RPS

RPS Member

Could it be the rev limiter you are hitting. Wouldn,t change coil yet as it seems to be working ok.. Search for spark plug cap for the spark plug fype you bought. All bike shops have em. Dont think its breather problem either but the black pipe you have found should be connected to something at one end.

7. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Okay mate and to be fair... I can get a second hand coil with the ht cap on for 20 quid local to me... of a 17 plate right off... I might just buy that... and it's not the rev limiter I'm hitting mate... heheh.... it looses all power and engine management light flashes for a spilt second... I can't do anything ATM as my wheel is off as I'm fitting me new sprockets tomorrow... it's just really getting to me now... I don't want to take it to Yamaha as it will cost me a lot.... I will keep trying to sort it and if I can't I will have to take It Yamaha

8. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

And that pipe mate I can't find anywhere it goes to... it's really long... it goes down by the rear suspension and goes up and is cable tied to the frame... and goes up towards to rocker cover where it isn't connected to anything

9. Blazer

Blazer Member

The loose pipe will probably be the breather pipe that should be attached to the battery.

10. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

It's not mate :) the breather pipe for the batter is a short see through one... that's connected... this black one is really long

11. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Could it be the ignition coil and ht cap though? As it runs good but then it's like when it gets hot... or high revs... I'm not sure

12. Draft_

Draft_ Member

There's a small chance that it could be the regulator/rectifier too as they do get rather hot when in use hence they have a heatsink.

Although before you go spending any additional money I'd reccomend checking all of the electrical connections for corrosion (On the copper contacts the corrosion will be a greenish colour) and making sure that there isn't any frayed or worn wires anywhere. If you see any corrosion on the electrical contacts you can try cleaning them up with a little bit of wet and dry sandpaper. I'd also suggest giving the killswitch contacts a quick check as that could be the fault.

One of the bikes that I owned had simmilar issues, the engine would cut out for a second or so, randomly when crusing flat out at 65mph, the issue ended up being that water had entred the ignition barrel and corroded the contacts. I dissasembled the ignition barrel and clean the contacts and the bike ran fine from there onwards.

13. Blazer

Blazer Member

If the battery breather pipe is a short and clear see through one, then it has been changed. The original one is a long black pipe that pokes out close to the rear suspension. Here's a pic of the route mine takes.
    20160920_145945_resized_1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM
  14. Liam1999

Liam1999 Member

Hey mate I have tested the regulator and the rectifier... it's all good... reading perfect... I fitted a new one on it anyways as my friend was selling one.. and tested it and it's perfect... so it's not that... I have had the bike apart and cleaned up all the connections... all good... and the ignition barral. I don't know how to take it apart. I've looked but i can't get to any of the wires.... it's like got two screws on the bottom that look like they need to be drilled out... and oh... that's the same pipe... must of being changed hahaa

15. RPS

RPS Member

Think 30mins at dealer having a mechanic diagonise what is wrong would be money well spent. You dont have to let them do any repairs as well.

16. Blazer

Blazer Member

I would suspect it's more likely to be an ignition system issue as @RPS says , if you still have the original spark plug cap fitted, then unscrew it from the lead and check inside the cap. The screw threads inside the original cap have been known to snap off, the spark jumps the gap but at high revs the vibration can cause the gap to widen. If it happens when you have the handlebars turned then it is probably a loose wire at the base of the ignition barrel, another common problem. Check out this thread, http://www.yamahar125.com/threads/cutting-out-problem-help.8267/.