New Bike! Yamaha Yzf-r125 2014

Discussion in 'Howto's Tips and Tricks' started by James Will, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Afternoon, ladies and gents!

Picked myself up an R125 on Wednesday, 1,500 miles on the clock, and I think it's a pretty decent bike!

I was just wondering if anyone knew where I should be filling the tank up to when I'm refuelling? The pump always seem to cut out as I'm getting past around 4 litres, which I think is something to do with them mainly being designed for cars or something?

Anyway, nice to meet you all and cheers in advance!

2. Draft_

Draft_ Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike! :)

The fuel pump will most likely be cutting off due to you inserting the nozzle too far into your tank, the pump cuts off when the petrol touches the nozzle (both from being submerged in fuel and also fuel splashing onto it). Hold the nozzle so it's just in the hole and you should be good.

3. Hey Draft,

Cheers for letting me know! That was definitely the problem, rookie error! I'm sitting at about half a tank after filling it up a week ago, and I've done about 200 miles since then! MPG is crazy on this bike, what kind of miles are you getting out of a tank?:)

4. Draft_

Draft_ Member

No worries! I done the same thing too when I started riding :)
    I owned a WR125X which had a 8.5l fuel tank, if I remember correctly I used to get about 80 mpg when the bike was stock and around 55 mpg after I had modded it (Full exhaust, modded airbox, malossi forcemaster 2). I'd typically take the bike to the redline (or as close as possible since it didn't have a tachometer) in each gear whilst accelerating and then cruise at 65-70mph. So I would be getting about 145 miles and 100 miles per tank respectivley. Although it's also worth considering the WR is less aerodynamic and also geared shorter in comparison to the R125.

James Will likes this.

5. So in short, buy a R125!;)

6. Yeah and blow the fork seals as soon as you start to practice wheelies ! :D